Systems: Applications, Solutions, and Techniques
special track in the conference "2005 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing"
Chairs: Alessio Bechini, Cosimo antonio Prete, Francois Bodin
CALL FOR PAPERS
Recently, demand for high performance embedded computing has
experienced an impressive growth. At the same time, embedded software
has become more and more complex, posing new challenging issues never
faced before in this application field. It is thus clear that nowadays
the development of embedded systems must rely, even more than in the
recent past, on specific solutions both in the hardware and in the
software components. Moreover, the need to timely tackle changes in the
market pushes toward the employment of methodologies for shortening the
development time and for driving the evolution of existing products.
The solutions to new problems emerging in this setting call for a joint
effort by academia and industry.
Design of embedded systems must take into account a wide variety of
constraints: performance, code size, power consumption, presence of
real-time tasks, maintainability, and possibly scalability: the more
convenient trade-off has to be found, often operating on a large number
of different parameters. In this scenario, solutions can be proposed at
different levels of abstraction, making use of an assortment of tools
and methodologies: researchers and practitioners have a chance to
propose new ideas and to compare experimentations.
The focus of this conference track is on the application of both novel
and well-known techniques to the embedded systems development.
Particular attention is paid to solutions that require expertise in
different fields (e. g. computer architecture, OS, compilers, software
engineering, simulation). In this setting, researchers and
practitioners from academia and industry will get a chance to keep in
touch with problems, open issues and future directions in the field of
development of dedicated applications for embedded systems.
Topics of Interest
- Methodologies and tools for design-space exploration
- System-level design
- Simulation techniques for embedded systems
- Benchmarking for embedded systems
- Power-saving design techniques
- Application development over SoC and platform-based systems
- Use of embedded systems within Information Systems and
- Employment of DSPs in embedded systems
- Software architectures of embedded systems
- Data streaming and multimedia in embedded systems
- Management of networked sensor devices
- OS & RTOS for embedded systems
- Hardware/software support for real-time applications
- Compilation strategies for performance enhancement vs. footprint
- Code transformation and program parallelization for embedded
- Testing, debugging, profiling and performance analysis of
- Java-enabled devices
- Special-purpose appliances and applications
- Case studies
Alessio Bechini - Univ. of Pisa, Dept. of Information Engineering - Italy
Cosimo Antonio Prete - Univ. of Pisa - Dept. of Information Engineering
François Bodin - IRISA Rennes - France
The accepted papers will be published in the
ACM SAC 2005 proceedings.